Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Squatter Law in MD "What kind of law is this?

Has anyone had to deal with a squatter? I read the law and see what it says although I totally disagree with it. I just don't understand how in the world someone can take up residence on a property with just saying, "i live here" with no other written proof or evidence. Not even a utility bill.

I have a very nasty situation that has landed a friend in jail because they're making every effort to protect and secure their property. Unfortunately, we are dealing with a drug addict which makes the situation worst. We've filed the necessary paperwork to remove the squatter. Will be another 2 weeks or so for court.

My questions is how can we secure the property and keep the drug addicts and confusion away until the court date? I'm really afraid someone is going to get hurt.

I appreciate any response. Thanks.

Ericka
    aunthmuvlivin@yahoo.com

Re: "Squatter Law in MD "What kind of law is this?

I don't know the maryland squatter law nor do I know if pa has a squatter law on the books even, but I have dealt with this several times.

The onus of proof of legal residence of the squatter is THE SQUATTERS RESPONSIBILITY. Lock them out, and let them hire an attorney to prove you couldn't do that. They can't and won't do it. period. If you ask too many questions to police officers, etc they will tell you different answers, answers that proptect themselves in gray areas.

Another actio nyou could take would be to have the property deemed uninhabitable by codes. This can be done here for something as simple as them haveing there water turned off, electric, etc.

Comment

I don't know the maryland squatter law nor do I know if pa has a squatter law on the books even, but I have dealt with this several times.

The onus of proof of legal residence of the squatter is THE SQUATTERS RESPONSIBILITY. Lock them out, and let them hire an attorney to prove you couldn't do that. They can't and won't do it. period. If you ask too many questions to police officers, etc they will tell you different answers, answers that proptect themselves in gray areas.

Another actio nyou could take would be to have the property deemed uninhabitable by codes. This can be done here for something as simple as them haveing there water turned off, electric, etc.

Comment

sooooo, why is your friend in jail?

Comment

Thanks alot Jason. We filed to have property deemed "inhabitable".

Skeptic,

My friend is in jail because she told the police officer she refuses to let the squatter have full use of her property which she's paying a 100k mtg note, water, maintenance, etc... and squatter continues to violate it. This was further demonstrated buy bolting the doors, nailing the windows shut and removing any debris left by squatter from property. Officer said "by law" she had to share property till court day. Along with the officer's unethically behavior, he's currently under review by IA.

Ericka

Comment

Erika, the last time I went thru this, I called the cop about the stolen cars out back. "at least I thought they were stolen" the vagrants ran out of the house, down the street, cop drives off, dumpster pulls in from is around the corner, we threw everything in the dumpster, and nailed the windows shut with the nail gun,and doors, and plywood, pulled the power meter, and went home.....

What squatters mr. policeman, all I saw was some folks running down the street, I don't know those folk. More than one way to skin a cat, posted a building permit, and started work, the next day.....

Comment

Working...
            X