Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rehab Question: Masonite horiz siding repair and replacement

Rehab Question:

You can look at my blog at the second story holes that need to be addressed. One was a bathroom window eliminated by a shower stall, and the other a window A/C that was removed.

My 'Con'tractor had a solution or so he said, now he is gone. He said he could get the stuff and stagger the replacement boards. And he had a repair plan for small holes.

Anyone with any experience replacing this stuff, I might try to do the replacement and repairs myself, or use the info to make sure I don't get burned, before I get painters in to paint it.

Any experience repairing cable or wire holes in the same stuff?

Is this stuff still available in its masonite form, or will I have to get smooth cementboard (hardieplanks)? Anyone know of suppliers of the original stuff?

Re: Rehab Question: Masonite horiz siding repair and replacement

I haven't seen that stuff in a few years now but I imagine someone can get it. I would check with your local lumberyards, I doubt the big box home stores will have it. If nobody has it I would just bit the bullet and vinyl side it. Vinyl is cheap, easy to install and looks great. People tend to like the low maintenance aspects as well.

Comment

Craig
      I believe you can still get or order the Masonite siding. My home in CT has Masonite clap boards (can't wait to tear them all off and reside it.) You (or a qualified carpenter) should be able to cut back the original siding (staggered) and piece in the new sections. As for the lower window. It looks like it is in a concrete foundation wall. If so I would have removed what looks like the old sill (protruding along the bottom of the opening) and blocked it in and then stuccoed over the block to give a smooth concrete finish. Since that is still there and it has been closed off with plywood maybe you can buy the Masonite stucco panel and use that. I would need more info it it is not a foundation wall.
      Hope that helps

Comment

We haven't done anything to the exterior. My preference would be to cut the sill off and smooth stucco the lower level holes. The lower level is stucco over block.

Comment

Working...
        X